Sunday, March 17, 2013

Be strong and very courageous.

That's Joshua 1:7. 

Joshua 1:7-8
"Be strong and very courageous.  Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go.  Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it.  Then you will be prosperous and successful."

I'm drawn to this, because there is no mention of smiting or crushing.  No threats of what will happen if you don't obey all the law.  There is just the promise that, if you obey the law, "you may be successful wherever you go."  "Then you will be prosperous and successful."  Isn't that interesting?

What's that mean, really?  I'm not entirely sure, but I think I'm grasping that working toward a life based on spiritual principles will enable me to prosper and have success.  How fortunate that someone has already put these principles down in writing, that I only have to ask for them and they are available.

How does this strike you?  What experience do you have with this?  I'm learning, and would very much appreciate your thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lou,

    Good blog topic! There are many thoughts on what makes a person strong and courageous. You certainly can be strong-willed, physically strong, or strong in withstanding circumstances that get thrown your way. When I think about the verse you selected, I believe it has to do with being strong minded enough to not let the cares of this world interfere with your serving the Lord - so it's the power to withstand temptations. Being courageous is another admirable trait, because it goes hand-in-hand with most any type of strength. Courageousness is being bold, fearless, and selfless in action - whether it's battling an illness, standing up for what's right, or saving someone's life.

    ReplyDelete